In 1881 when the Nance County Bank was first organized by Chauncy L. Wiltse, Nance County was two years old, having been formed by an Act of the Legislature in February of 1879. The county was formed from lands which had been designated as the Pawnee Indian Reservation by an Act of Congress in 1857, and was named in honor of Governor Albinus Nance. It contained approximately 450 square miles, with 279,000 acres within the area.
The Nance County Bank was organized in 1879 by Slaughter and Lindsey as a private bank. In addition to their bank activities, these men were the Government land agents looking after the sale of Nance County land.
In 1881 the private bank of Slaughter and Lindsey was organized into a state bank to be known as the NANCE COUNTY BANK with Chauncey L. Wiltse, a newcomer to the community as its President. Brad D. Slaughter was Cashier and M.S. Lindsey, Assistant Cashier.
The new bank had a starting capital of $20,000 and was doing general bank business in the thriving community whose needs had already exceeded the capacity of the private bank.
In 1883, Chauncey L. Wiltse saw the need for further expanding his banking facilities and service to the community. He made application for a National Bank Charter, which was granted May 29, 1883, under the name of FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF FULLERTON, with the same officers as the Nance County Bank. This orginal charter is still in the possession of the bank and the bank is still operating under that original Charter and its extensions.
In 2007 the First National Bank and Trust of Fullerton established its first branch office located in St. Edward Nebraska. In June 2010, First National Bank & Trust became First Bank & Trust of Fullerton.